- Oil filter removal on GM 2.2 and 2.4L engines How to remove Oil filter on GM 2.2 and 2.4L engines The newer GM cars use a cartridge style oil filter that must be changed from up above. A cap fits over the cartridge and you need a special low profile socket to fit over the nut.
How do you remove a left or right oil filter?
The simplest way to turn the filter is to use your hand and turn it counter-clockwise or to the left.
What are the two main types of oil filters available on engines?
Types Of Oil Filters: What Are My Options?
- Full-Flow Oil Filter. This choice is also known as a primary oil filter, and it’s widely used by many carmakers.
- Secondary Oil Filter.
- Cartridge Oil Filter.
- Spin-On Oil Filter.
- Spinner Oil Filter.
- Magnetic Oil Filter.
What tool is used to remove an oil filter?
An oil-filter wrench is a tool for removing spin-on type oil filters.
Can you remove oil filter without wrench?
If you can’t there is a tool/chain wrench to remove it. If you do not have a tool, I have found the best way is to knock a strong screwdriver through the side of the oil filter casing. Try to go around halfway down as you do not want to hit the thread where the filter screws onto the housing.
What kind of oil does a 2007 Saturn Ion take?
Use only SAE 5W-30 engine oil in your Saturn Ion. Look for the API starburst logo that certifies the oil as suitable for use in gasoline engines, and if you’re running the standard 2.2L or 2.4L engine, double-check that the label states the oil meets GM standard GM6094M.
What are the most common oil filters?
The most common oil filter is the spin-on type. As the name implies, this filter attaches to the engine using a threaded mount. You rotate the housing when you want to remove or install it, which make it easy to replace or inspect.
Are all engine oil filters the same?
You will want to check with your vehicle’s manufacturer to make sure, but typically any automotive filters that are made for modern vehicles can be used with any type of oil. Every major motor oil manufacturer says you do not need a special or different oil filter when using synthetic oil.
What is the difference between a regular oil filter and a synthetic oil filter?
Like the filter media, they’re designed to last longer. Finally, some synthetic filters actually have larger (typically longer) bodies than conventional filters, which means they have more capacity. Because of these factors, some synthetic oil filters have service lives of anywhere from 7,000 to 25,000 miles.
Where is the oil filter located on a 2018 GMC Terrain?
The oil filter on the 2018 gmc terrain is located on the bottom of the vehicle, near the oil pan.
What does Dexos mean in oil?
What Is Dexos Oil? Dexos oil is engine oil that meets a special set of requirements. Oils with Dexos specification meet the most stringent specifications that will help your vehicle meet the latest emissions standards and improve fuel efficiency.
Amazon.com: Lisle 14700 1-1/4”/32mm Oil Filter Socket for GM Ecotec : Automotive
It was reviewed on May 4, 2018 in the United States. Specs: 27mm in diameter Purchase that has been verified It’s not an American-made item, which is what I would have expected from Lisle. I would not have purchased this item if I had realized it was created in China (despite the fact that the answer to the previous question states otherwise). Aside from that, the finish is consistent and attractive; despite the fact that it is black, it plainly states “not for impact usage” on the side since it is not intended for anything other than removing plastic oil filter housings.
Spencer M wrote this on May 4, 2018.
I would not have purchased this item if I had realized it was created in China (despite the fact that the answer to the previous question states otherwise).
On May 5, 2017, a review was published in the United States.
- I was able to remove the cap with this 29mm, but I really need a 28mm.
- Just so you know, I have a 2013 6.7LRam 2500 Cummins.
- Style: 32mm (1-1/4 inch) in diameter “) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) Purchase that has been verified This oil filter socket was purchased for use with a 2016 Volkswagen Golf 1.8L tsi.
- The price is reasonable, and if you intend to use it on an MK7 Golf that requires this size of socket, you can be assured that it will perform admirably.
- Style: 32mm (1-1/4 inch) in diameter “) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) Purchase that has been verified This is an excellent tool.
- I had lost my previous one and had become weary of having to purchase pricey tool trucks.
- If you only use it for oil filter service, it would be difficult to break it down completely.
It’s of good quality.
It cost me less than $5.
Professionals and weekend mechanics will appreciate this tool.
Style: 24mm in diameter Purchase that has been verified The lowest possible price for the socket necessary to remove the cap from the oil filter housing cover for Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep’s 3.6-liter engines.
A review of this product was published in the United States on December 29, 2020.
Snap On sockets, at least in the form that they were manufactured in the 1980s and 1990s, are still considered to be a type of gold standard in the socket industry.
I’m not sure if this is in that top tier, but it appears to be a decent investment thus far.
After all, I purchased it just for the purpose of removing the plastic cover off the oil filter of a Chevrolet Cruze, and nothing else.
It’s also six-sided, which is the only configuration worth possessing in my opinion, and it’s the only one worth having.
On March 19, 2019, a review was conducted in the United States.
It was a fantastic fit.
Because I applied more pressure than should have been necessary to remove the stock fill plug (I attribute this to the lack of a crush seal), my extension slipped out of the 3/8″ hex nut “I smacked my head against the fender well at the other end of the socket, bending two of the sides of that end in the process.
I got lucky since the next day, the plug might have just as easily slipped out.
Because of the 3/8, I’m giving it a four-star review “My extension flung out of the socket because the end of the socket bent so quickly.
Style: 32mm (1-1/4 inch) in diameter “) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) Purchase that has been verified It performs admirably on my Equinox.
It’s amusing that a simple oil filter replacement in a Chevy requires a special short socket to be used. A good deal for far less labor than tearing down an old socket. Drink beer as you order on Amazon, wait a day, change the oil, and then drink beer some more.
Top reviews from other countries
5.0 stars out of 5 for this product This is a must-have for every Ecotec 2.2/2.4 owner! On June 2, 2020, a review will be conducted in Canada. Style: 32mm (1-1/4″) in diameter Purchase that has been verified The fact that a standard 32mm socket would not work owing to the clearance between the oil filter cap and the intake manifold was imposed by GM through no fault of their own. Fortunately, this tool makes simple work of correcting that issue. 5.0 stars out of 5 for this product I’m glad I purchased it.
- Style: 32mm (1-1/4″) in diameter Purchase that has been verified What I needed for oil changes on my 2014 Equinox was exactly what I found.
- This is an absolute must-have for certain filter types!
- Simply reduce the size of the socket by two-thirds and you’re done.
- The product was reviewed in Canada on August 19, 2018 and is called Style: 5 Piece Filter Socket Set Purchase that has been verified Thanks to the help of this product, I was able to complete oil changes on my 2014 Terrain and 2015 Cruize.
- 5.0 stars out of 5 for this product Purchased on July 22, 2019 in CanadaStyle: 35/36mmReviewed in Canada on July 22, 2019Verified Purchase This instrument was appropriate for the purpose for which it was intended.
- Because it is made of metal, it will endure a long time.
- 5.0 stars out of 5 for this product Excellent tools and resources On September 18, 2021, a review will take place in Mexico.
How To: Oil Change
Personally, I’d recommend changing the oil yourself because, for the $20 you spend to get it changed, you’ll receive awful standard oil with a crappy, low-quality filter in return. I spend about $30 for an oil change, which includes Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil and a quality filter. Walmart sells 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for about $25 (which is significantly less expensive than purchasing individual quarts), and I then go to Napa and purchase a Napa Gold filter for about $6-8. And here’s how to replace the oil on your car.
- 2) Open the hood and remove the oil dipstick and lid from the engine compartment.
- Allow the oil to drain; while the oil is draining, prepare the filter and oil.
- The filter will come out with it when you remove the cap; change the filter by removing the old one and snapping in the new one (it will click into place).
- In order to prevent oil from being spilled all over your valve cover when using a 5qt jug, get a funnel and set it in the oil fill.
- 9) Reinstall the oil dipstick and oil cap, lower the vehicle, and run the engine until it reaches operating temperature again.
- Please keep in mind that 2.2/2.4s require 5 quarts of oil.
2.0s need additional resources: Approximately 6 – 6.5 pints Specifications for torque: 22 N-m / 16 lb ft for the oil filter housing cover; 24 N-m / 18 lb ft for the oil pan drain plug Photos courtesy of Cobaltxfe09 of the AC Delco oil filter component number PF457G.
Performance Tool W80678 GM 2.2L Filter Wrench For Ecotec Engines
Shipping addresses include the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic; Finland, Hungary; Latvia; Lithuania; Malta; Estonia; Australia; Greece; Portugal; Cyprus; Slovenia; Japan; China; Sweden; Korea; South; Indonesia; Taiwan; South Africa; Thailand; Belgium; France; Hong Kong; Ireland; Netherlands; Poland; Spain; Italy; Germany; Austria; Bahamas; Israel; Mexico; New Zealand; Philippines; Singapore; Switzerland; Norway; Saudi Arabia; Ukraine The following countries are excluded: French Polynesia, Libya, New Caledonia, and Venezuela.
GM 2.2 engine problems
After visiting the AC Delco website, I was able to search up the component number that was listed in the owner’s handbook; however, I was unable to locate a check out option, indicating that it is not an e-commerce site. Whatever the case, I next contacted the nearest autozone and Pep Boys, which I found using the zipcode lookup feature on the website. Everyone stated they didn’t have it and that they couldn’t even order it, and I believe Pep Boys still doesn’t have the car listed in their database as of now.
- They were able to recommend me to an engine repair shop that is far closer to my location than the national businesses that were provided by the lookup engine on the website’s homepage.
- I volunteered to pick it up first thing in the morning for $11.75.
- As a result, there must be a wholesale warehouse someplace in the vicinity.
- The person who answered the phone when I dialed the 800 number was helpful, thorough, and sympathetic.
Chevrolet Cavalier Oil Filter
That your quest for the correct Oil Filter items for your Chevrolet Cavalier has come to an end will make your Chevrolet Cavalier quite pleased. Advance Auto Parts provides 53 different Oil Filters for your car, all of which are available for delivery or in-store pickup at your convenience. The greatest news is that our Chevrolet Cavalier Oil Filter items are reasonably priced, starting at only $4.09. In terms of components and goods for your Chevrolet Cavalier, you want to be sure that only reputable companies are used.
ACDelco andPurolator ONE are two of the most popular Oil Filter product brands on the market.
We also provide reviews of our OEM and aftermarket Oil Filter items to assist you make an informed decision while shopping for these products.
You may shop online and have your purchases delivered to your doorstep at the greatest possible price and quality.
In the event that you would like to shop in person for the best Oil Filter supplies for your Cavalier, stop by one of our convenient Advance Auto Parts shops and you’ll be back on the road in no time!
FAQs forChevrolet Cavalier Oil Filter Products
Instructions for Resetting the Engine Oil Life System After changing the engine oil, it is necessary to reset the system: 1. With the engine turned off, turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position. To find OIL-LIFE XX percent, press the information button and then scroll down through the menu until it appears on the DIC display. In order to access the customizing menu, simultaneously press the INFOrmation and RESET buttons (the one that has a RETURN symbol) on the Driver Information Center (DIC) (located on the left side of the steering wheel) on the instrument panel.
- Hold down the RESET button until the DIC display indicates that it has been acknowledged.
- Scrolling through the information displays one more to make sure OIL LIFE 100 percent is now shown is a good practice.
- With the engine turned off, turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position.
- Completely depress and carefully release the accelerator pedal three times in the span of five seconds.
- Start the engine by turning the key to the LOCK/OFF position.
- Restart your computer by following the reset method.
How to Choose the Oil and Fluids for a Saturn Ion
While the Saturn Ion, manufactured by General Motors for model years 2003 to 2007, has been widely lauded for its excellent handling, which is on par with that of its peers in the same class, it has earned the unusual distinction of being by far the longest compact automobile ever sold in the United States. Here’s how to select the proper oil and fluids for your Saturn Ion, regardless of the model year.
Only SAE 5W-30 engine oil should be used in your Saturn Ion. Look for the API starburst emblem, which confirms that the oil is acceptable for use in gasoline engines. If you’re using a regular 2.2L or 2.4L engine, double-check that the oil satisfies GM specification GM6094M on the label, as well. If you’re driving a vehicle with a supercharged 2.0L engine, you’ll require SAE 5W-30 engine oil that satisfies the General Motors GM4718M specification. Many synthetic oils are eligible, but not all of them.
One part clean, drinking water and one part DEX-COOL coolant should be mixed together for your engine cooling system and intercool system, with the latter being relevant exclusively to the supercharged 2.0L engine.
Make sure your manual transaxle in the 2.2L and 2.4L standard engines is properly maintained by using DEXRON-III automatic transmission fluid that has been approved for the H-Specification on the label. For a supercharged 2.0L engine equipped with a manual transaxle, manual transmission fluid (part number 21018899) is required. In order for all engines to function properly, the automatic gearbox must be filled with DEXRON-VI automatic transmission fluid.
DOT-3 brake fluid, such as Delco Supreme 11 brake fluid, should be used to keep your braking fluid reservoir well stocked. In the hydraulic clutch system, the same fluid or an equivalent might be utilized as in the hydraulic clutch system. Tips
- Ensure that you have some Lubriplate lubrication spray (Saturn component number 21038869) on available in case you need to lubricate the tracks, latches, and pivots in your car. Additionally, you may use an analogous lubricant that fulfills the standards of NLGI2, category LB or GC-LB
- However, this is not recommended.
Biography of the Author To guarantee that our readers only receive the most up-to-date information, this article was produced by a professional writer, copy edited, and fact verified using a multi-point auditing system. To express your questions or suggestions, or to just learn more about us, please visit our about us page, which may be found at the link below.