- What is an AC Compressor Bypass Pulley A free-spinning pulley, used as a replacement for the AC compressor or an automotive engine, is known as an AC Bypass pulley. When an AC compressor in a car fails to do its job or does it badly, the AC Compressor Bypass pulley is bought in as a replacement for the bad factory AC system.
Can you bypass a AC compressor pulley?
AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR BYPASS PULLEYS. If the AC compressor on your classic car has stopped working and you would rather not replace it, installing an AC compressor bypass pulley is a viable option for safely and efficiently removing your factory AC compressor.
Can I bypass AC compressor with shorter belt?
The compressor cannot be bypassed without the use of a compressor bypass pulley. Install a new pulley or pulley bearing if it can come off of the compressor and then put on a new belt.
Can you bypass the AC compressor with a serpentine belt?
Sometimes a problem with your air conditioning compressor can cause it to actually lock up. There is a way around this problem however; you can actually bypass the compressor all together with a different serpentine belt.
Can a car run without AC compressor?
You will be fine as long as you don’ t need or want AC in your car. Your AC pulley is a free spinning pulley that has a clutch on it. It will spin freely until you turn the air conditioning on. If the clutch doesn’t work properly, you will still be able to drive your car.
Can I drive with a seized AC compressor?
Your car is not safe to drive since the air compressor is operated by the same drive belt as the remainder of the engine (serpentine belt). Because the AC compressor has seized, this could cause the belt to lock up other components resulting in major engine damage.
How much does it cost to fix AC clutch?
Between $610 and $664 is the average cost for an AC compressor clutch replacement. Labor costs are between $184 and $232 while parts are between $426 and $432.
What is the length of a serpentine belt?
Most OE replacement serpentine belts are 4 to 6 rib belts and the length is referred to in inches and/or millimeters. A Dayco serpentine belt for a 2002 LS1 Camaro is listed as a PN 5060790 is a six-rib belt that is 79 inches in effective length represented by the last three digits in the part number.
How do you put a serpentine belt on a trailblazer?
Slide the serpentine belt off the pulleys while holding the tensioner off the belt. Discard the old belt and install a new belt over the pulleys. Rotate the tensioner counterclockwise allowing it to tension the new belt as you go.
How do I know if my AC pulley is bad?
Four Signs Your Car’s AC Compressor Is Going Bad
- Odd Sounds. You might hear some strange noises when you flip on your vehicle’s air conditioner and if you do, it’s probably the compressor.
- Hot Air. The whole point of turning on your vehicle’s AC is to get cold air to come through the vents.
- Fluid Leaks.
- Stuck Clutch.
What causes a compressor to bypass?
The most common cause of compressor valves going “bad” is liquid slugging. Liquid slugging is caused by: Not enough super-heat. Over charge.
How do I get my compressor clutch to engage?
Take the fused jumper wire and connect its one end to that side of the wire connector that was connected to the compressor. Attach the other end of the jumper wire to the positive terminal of the battery. It will supply the battery voltage to the compressor clutch, allowing it to engage manually.
Amazon.com: Dorman 34157 A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley Compatible with Select Chevrolet / Pontiac Models : Automotive
On March 10, 2017, a review was conducted in the United States. Purchase that has been verified My vintage freon-powered air conditioner (from a 1989 GMC K1500 5.7L) has been out of commission for decades. In any case, a fix implies a complete overhaul of everything, therefore it is (and has long been 2-55 AC, roll down 2 windows and go 55). Removed all of the excess weight from the air conditioning system. The bypass was precisely aligned, but because the pulley was thicker at the rear, it was necessary to polish the mount plate in order to clear the bypass pulley.
On December 8, 2021, a review will be conducted in the United States.
The only difficulty is that you must use two washers before reinstalling the bolts, or the pulley will rub against the inside of your belt.
The article was reviewed in the United States on April 27, 2013.
- This 34157 will suit your 1984 with just a few minutes of filing on the idler bracket where it comes into contact with the new pulley to complete the installation.
- You may get the same sort of deletion kit from General Motors for $85, but it will be more expensive.
- Purchase that has been verified This component was never even delivered to my truck.
- Purchase that has been verified Everything worked perfectly, and the pricing was reasonable.
- Product purchased through a verified seller at a fantastic price On February 10, 2016, a review was published in the United States.
- The United States’ review was completed on January 3, 2016.
Top reviews from other countries
5.0 stars out of 5 for this product Excellent value for money On December 9, 2019, a review was published in Canada. Purchase that has been verified 5.0 stars out of 5 for this product Five out of five stars On August 5, 2016, a review was published in Canada. Verified Purchase was as expected and has worked flawlessly thus far.
How to Install an AC Bypass Pulley
Photograph courtesy of Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images An AC bypass pulley is a free-spinning pulley that is used to replace the air-conditioning compressor on an automobile’s ignition system. When the air conditioning compressor in a car fails, it is common for consumers to opt to install an air conditioning bypass pulley.
AC bypass pulleys are significantly less expensive than a new air conditioning compressor. However, once the system is in place, the car will no longer have air conditioning capability.
Take the car that will be receiving the AC bypass pulley installation to a nearby shop so that any lingering freon may be removed from the system before the installation.
Lift the hood of the car and secure it with the prop rod that was included in the factory installation. Using a pen and paper, sketch down the approximate placement of each pulley as well as the way the belt wraps around those pulleys to get a general idea of how the system works.
Attach the belt tensioner tool to the belt tensioner by inserting it into the relevant fitting on the belt tensioner. To release belt tension, rotate the belt tensioner tool in the opposite direction of the belt tensioner. Remove the belt from around each pulley with care, being sure to keep the stress off the belt. Set the belt aside. Allow the belt tensioner to rest in its natural position before removing the belt tensioner tool from the machine.
Locate the two lines that link to the air conditioning compressor and disconnect them using the line wrench set that was provided. Follow the lines back to their other connecting point and then remove them using the line wrench set you purchased earlier.
Finding and removing the mounting nuts for the air conditioning compressor with the socket and ratchet set will save time. One hand should be used to support the AC compressor while the other is used to remove the mounting nuts. Remove the outdated air conditioning compressor from the picture.
To install an AC bypass pulley, align the mounting holes on the engine that were originally used to install an AC compressor with the mounting holes on the engine that were originally used to install an AC compressor. Install the mounting bolts by hand and tighten them down using the socket and ratchet set after they have been installed.
If there are any cracks or wear on the serpentine belt, visually check it and replace it as needed. Carefully route the belt around the pulley system, following the routing design that has been created. Except for the tensioner pulley, the belt should be able to move freely around all of the pulleys. Attach the belt tensioner tool to the belt tensioner and tighten the belt tensioner. By applying pressure to the belt tensioner tool, you may rotate the belt tensioner. Slide the serpentine belt beneath the belt tensioner until it is snugly secured.
Take the belt tensioner tool out of the belt tensioner and set it aside.
- “Automotive Heating and Air Conditioning,” by Mark Schnubel, published in 2008.
- Whenever routing a serpentine belt, begin at the harmonic balancer and work your way up to the top of the engine.
What You’ll Need to Get Started
- You’ll Need a Few Things.
- If the serpentine belt is not correctly placed, the engine should not be turned on. Due to the fact that all engine accessories are intended to rotate in a specific direction, the serpentine belt routing must be precisely the same as before it was removed.
Biography of the Author Robert Moore began writing professionally in 2002 and has been doing so ever since. His professional writing and web design career began as the head writer and Web designer for VFW Post 1224 in Hamburg, Michigan.
He has written company plans, proposals, and grant requests, among other things. A state-certified technician, Moore is pursuing an Associate of Arts in automotive technology from Lansing Community College while still working full-time as a mechanic.
What is an AC Bypass Pulley, and how does it work? An AC bypass pulley is a free-spinning pulley that is used to replace the air-conditioning compressor on an automobile’s ignition system. Consumers frequently opt to install an AC bypass pulley in their vehicles when the vehicle’s air conditioning compressor fails. Once the system is in place, the car will no longer be equipped with air conditioning. * Allows you to utilize your OEM belt size* Replaces a seized or malfunctioning A/C compressor* Bracket bolts are used in lieu of the A/C compressor that was removed* Only correct for vehicles that have factory fitted air conditioning 1.
- Using a pen and paper, sketch down the approximate placement of each pulley as well as the way the belt wraps around those pulleys to get a general idea of how the system works.
- Insert the belt tensioner tool into the corresponding fitting on the belt tensioner and tighten the belt tensioner.
- Remove the belt from around each pulley with care, being sure to keep the stress off the belt.
- Allow the belt tensioner to rest in its normal position before removing the belt tensioner tool from the machine.
- Using the line wrench set, locate the two lines that link to the air conditioning compressor and disconnect them.
One hand should be used to support the AC compressor while the other is used to remove the mounting nuts.
Install the mounting bolts by hand and tighten them down using the socket and ratchet set after they have been installed.
Using a visual inspection, check the serpentine belt for cracks or wear and replace it as required.
Except for the tensioner pulley, the belt should be able to move freely around all of the pulleys.
Slide the serpentine belt beneath the belt tensioner until it is snugly secured.
Take the belt tensioner tool out of the belt tensioner and set it aside.
Warnings; Never start an engine if the serpentine belt is not correctly mounted on the vehicle.
You will need the following items: a pen and paper, a belt tensioner tool, a line wrench set, and a socket and ratchet set.
1 AUTO SHOP Chevy C/K Series Pickup Bypass Pulley Legal; (our attorneys insisted on include this) No one, including but not limited to 1 AUTO SHOP LLC or any of its affiliates, is responsible for any damages of any kind arising out of the use of this publication, regardless of the theory of liability used to bring about the damages.
NO LIABILITY IS ASSUMED BY 1 AUTO SHOP LLC FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS PUBLICATION OR IN DOCUMENTS REFERENCED BY OR LINKED TO FROM THIS PUBLICATION.
Auto A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley
An A/C compressor bypass pulley is a simple solution for reducing the noise produced by a car or truck’s A/C compressor. A malfunctioning air conditioner compressor may generate a great deal of noise. On previous versions, the A/C compressor was driven by a separate belt from the main drive belt. When something went wrong with the system, you could simply remove the belt and turn off the compressor. New automobiles are equipped with a single serpentine belt, which actually makes things a little more complicated.
- You will be unable to run your car until you have these additional components.
- Two choices exist if you do not want to replace the air conditioning compressor, which is a costly prospect, or if you merely want to keep the car operating until you can install a new compressor.
- Second, you might add a bypass pulley for the air conditioning compressor.
- This enables the belt to continue its intended route and to run all of the other engine components that are required.
How do I Know if I Should Install an A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley?
As previously stated, the installation of an air conditioner compressor bypass pulley removes the compressor from the operating loop. Having the compressor changed may be the greatest option if you are in desperate need of your air conditioning system. Nevertheless, if you want to prevent an expensive and time-consuming repair or if you want an immediate solution, then a bypass pulley may be your best alternative. After all, what could possibly go wrong with the compressor? The compressor for the air conditioning system is a pretty intricate component.
- To put it another way, the refrigerant absorbs heat in the low pressure evaporator, which it then releases in the higher pressure condenser.
- The high temperatures in the air conditioning system might cause a lack of lubrication inside the compressor, which can result in the failure of the bearings and valves within the unit.
- Unusual sounds are one of the most common symptoms of these failures to manifest.
- Hissing might also indicate that there is an issue with the pressure levels within the air conditioning system.
- Leaks should also be repaired as soon as possible because Freon is harmful to the environment as well as moderately poisonous to humans and animals.
- It is possible that this will continue to exist even if the air conditioning is turned off since the serpentine belt is still operating the compressor.
You’ll need to remove the A/C compressor from the serpentine belt path in order to get the noise to cease, and that’s where a compressor bypass pulley may come in.
Can I Install an A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley Myself?
Yes, one of the advantages of installing a compressor bypass pulley over dealing with your vehicle’s air conditioning system is that it is less difficult. Your refrigerant will, however, need to be drained by a professional due to the fact that it is an environmental and health threat, as previously stated. After that is completed, you’ll often have to remove the old compressor, bolt the bypass pulley into place, and re-loop the serpentine belt to complete the job. If you are unsure of how to route the belt, check a repair handbook for assistance.
Need an A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley?
When compared to air conditioning repairs, which can be rather expensive, an A/C compressor bypass pulley is a lot more cost-effective solution. If you don’t have hundreds of dollars to spend right now on replacing the compressor and fixing your car or truck’s A/C system, you should consider installing an A/C compressor bypass pulley instead of the original compressor. As luck would have it, 1A Auto maintains a big inventory of compressor bypass pulleys for a variety of makes and models, all at competitive pricing.
- This is also a terrific solution for an older automobile that is still in excellent running condition but is experiencing air conditioner troubles.
- In a car, having air conditioning is a wonderful convenience.
- Bypass pulleys for air conditioners from 1A Auto are a cost-effective alternative to air conditioner compressor repair.
- Shop for an A/C compressor bypass pulley at 1A Auto, where we make it simple to find the appropriate component for your car, truck, SUV, or van.
- If you have any concerns regarding our components, warranty, compatibility, or to make a purchase, please contact our customer service department toll free at 888-844-3393.
Dorman Products – 34152
When compared to air conditioning repairs, which can be rather expensive, an A/C compressor bypass pulley is a lot more affordable option. If you don’t have hundreds of dollars to spend right now on rebuilding your car or truck’s compressor and fixing its A/C system, you should consider installing an A/C compressor bypass pulley. As luck would have it, 1A Auto maintains a big inventory of compressor bypass pulleys for a variety of makes and models at competitive pricing. Air conditioning compressor bypass pulleys from 1A Auto allow you to move the compressor to the side of the vehicle, bolt the pulley in place, and continue to use your original serpentine belt as before.
- It is simple to repair the A/C system if you later determine that it is necessary.
- In a car, having air conditioning is a wonderful feature.
- Bypass pulleys for air conditioners from 1A Auto are a cost-effective substitute for air conditioner compressor maintenance.
- Shop for an A/C compressor bypass pulley at 1A Auto, where we make it simple to get the appropriate component for your car, truck, SUV, or van.
We’re here to assist you in finding the right part for your vehicle. If you have any concerns regarding our components, warranty, compatibility, or purchasing, please contact our customer service department toll free at 888-844-3393. You may also order online.
This A/C compressor bypass pulley is a cost-effective option for allowing the original equipment drive belt to be utilized while bypassing an inoperable A/C compressor while maintaining the original equipment drive belt.
- A cost-effective option – this bypass pulley allows the conventional drive belt to be used once a defective air conditioning compressor has been removed. Quality components – this bypass pulley is constructed with high-quality components to ensure a long service life. Installation is straightforward because it makes use of the same mounting points as the air conditioning compressor. Testing for quality – this item has undergone comprehensive testing to assure a high-quality fit and a long service life
|Air Conditioning Component Material:||Plastic Pulley; Aluminum Bracket|
|Installation Hardware Included:||No|
|Installation Instructions Included:||Yes|
|Number of Pulleys Included:||1|
|Outer Diameter (in):||110 mm|
|Package Contents:||Pulley and Bracket|
|Pulley Type/Grooves:||6-Groove Serpentine Belt|
|DIRECT OE CROSS|
You may search and locate Dorman Products retailers in your region by entering your zip code in the box below. To ensure that this item is in stock and available in the location of your choice, please call the location directly.
Showing Results for34152
Pulley for bypassing the air conditioning
Easy Steps on How to Install an AC Compressor Bypass Pulley
You might be wondering what an AC bypass pulley is and what it is used for. Let me explain. Alternatively, you may want some simple instructions on how to install an AC compressor bypass pulley. If you do not possess a vehicle, the odds of you finding out are quite minimal. Un automatic climate control bypass pulley is a mechanical tool that may be used or installed in a vehicle when you wish to remove or bypass the factory air conditioning system. This is most often the case when the OEM air conditioning system is malfunctioning or entirely inoperable.
What doesan AC Bypass Pulley Do?
It is not enough to just understand what they are saying. An AC bypass pulley is a piece of equipment that allows you to run the air conditioning without using the vehicle’s air conditioning compressor. There are various advantages to using an AC bypass pulley, one of which being the financial savings it provides. If you decide to replace the AC compressor, it is quite inexpensive in contrast to the original. The difference in pricing is simply too much.
How to Install AC Compressor Bypass Pulley
Now that you know what they are, let’s talk about how to install an AC Compressor Bypass Pulley. Installing AC bypass pulleys necessitates the purchase of bypass pulleys, which must be done beforehand. They may be accessed on the internet at The costs range from $35 to $50 per person. Please keep in mind that when you purchase the bypass pulley, you will also need to purchase the bypass belt. The following are the measures to take in order to install an AC Compressor Bypass Pulley. Depending on the vehicle, this might be different.
- It is necessary to disconnect the connections from the compressor. When you’ve finished, unscrew the bolts and unplug all of your air conditioning wires from your compressor. After that, remove the air conditioning compressor. If necessary, bushings can be inserted into the mounting holes to provide additional support. Insert bolts into the mounting holes in the center bracket, through the bushings, and tighten the bolts tightly
- Install the serpentine belt and make sure it’s a good fit
However, if the serpentine belt does not sit properly on the pulley, you need take the following extra measures.
- The serpentine belt and bolt that holds the pulley to the bracket should be removed as well as the pulley. A washer should be placed behind the pulley or bracket. You can then reinstall the pulley after installing the washer to provide the necessary space for the belt to ride properly on the pulley.
How to fix AC compressor clutch
The pulley for the air conditioner compressor is a fantastic solution. The question is, what do you do if you want to repair the AC compressor clutch? The AC compressor clutch is a compact mechanical device that is made up of three parts: the clutch plate, the pulley, and the clutch coil. It is used to drive the compressor. It is utilized to connect and disengage driving power from the shaft of the car’s air conditioning compressor. The compressor clutch coil is basically a big coil of copper wire wound around the compressor shaft.
- When the clutch plate joins with the clutch body, it connects to the shaft of the air conditioning compressor and powers the compressor.
- This magnetic field is then used to force a piece of the clutch plate against the clutch body/pulley, forcing the compressor shaft to revolve.
- A sliding AC compressor clutch indicates that the clutch has suffered significant wear.
- There will be no coolant or refrigerant to circulate through the air conditioning system in order to cool your vehicle if this occurs.
So, if your air conditioner’s compressor clutch fails, don’t be concerned. There is yet a glimmer of optimism. It is possible to correct the situation. The following are the measures to follow in order to repair an AC compressor clutch:
- Remove the bolt that keeps the clutch assembly together and set it aside. In most cases, a 10mm bolt is used. One of the reasons it is so tight is to ensure that it does not get loose due to vibrations while operating. Remove the clip using a plier, being careful not to damage your eyes while doing so because it has a tendency to fly out. After that, you may take the old and worn bearing from the clutch pulley and replace it. To accomplish this, insert a 36mm socket into the centre of the pulley to assist in the removal of the bearing. You can use a gear puller up there if you want to. After that, you may use a heat gun to warm up the AC pullet, which will allow the replacement bearing to be installed more easily. After that, insert the new bearing into the pulley with the help of a gear pulling tool. Using the 10mm bolt that you removed before, reassemble the unit on the air conditioning compressor.
How to Remove the Power Steering Pump Pulley Without Using a Puller is a related article.
How to replace AC compressor
If the clutch, on the other hand, is severely damaged, it is recommended that you just replace it. It is possible that the condition extends beyond the AC compressor clutch. If your air conditioner’s compressor is malfunctioning and you want assistance with how to replace an air conditioner compressor, you may follow the instructions outlined below.
- It is preferable to just replace the clutch if the condition of the clutch is very bad. Even if the problem is limited to the AC compressor clutch, the issue might be more serious. It is possible to replace the AC compressor yourself if your unit’s compressor is malfunctioning. To do so, follow the instructions provided below.
These are the easy measures to follow when replacing an air conditioning compressor.
Why AC compressor wont engage
This is a straightforward procedure for replacing an air conditioning compressor.
- A fuse that has blown
- There is a break in the wire leading to the clutch coil. Incorrectly sized compressor clutch coil
- A faulty ground or a low pressure lockout are examples of bad ground.
Unfortunately, you may not be able to determine the specific nature of the problem until you have unbolted the mechanical equipment and examined it thoroughly. When the AC compressor fails to engage, you may notice that your air conditioner is blowing warm air or that your air conditioner does not turn on at all. That is to say, you must always determine why an air conditioning compressor is not working before attempting to fix it in any other manner.
What Is an AC Bypass Pulley?
It’s possible that you won’t be able to identify what the problem is until you’ve unbolted the mechanical equipment and examined it thoroughly. Having an AC compressor that won’t engage might result in your air conditioning system blowing heated air or not turning on at all. So, always try to determine why an air conditioner’s compressor is not working before attempting to fix it in another manner.
You might also Like
26 Hollywood A-Listers Who Are Extremely Wealthy Are you able to guess which team these athletes represented? Any American should be able to pass this quiz on US history. Do you recognize any of the celebrities that wore these iconic ensembles? Predicting the weather with the most beautiful women in the world Amazing Optical Illusions that will fool your eyes and trick your brain You Don’t Want to Miss These 40 Wedding Photographic Faux Pas 17 Intriguing Maps That Will Change Your Perspective on the World