- The Chevy Sonic oil warning light comes on in red either because the engine oil level is low or because of low oil pressure. Stop the car as soon as possible and switch off the engine. Check oil level and if low, top up.
Why is my oil filter light on?
Typically, when you start off your engine, the oil service oil should come on for about two seconds then it stops. If this light stays on, it will mean your vehicle needs oil or filter change. When there is enough oil and pressure, oil will continuously be pumped into the tubes lubricating the tubes.
How do you reset the change oil light on a Chevy Sonic?
2011-2016 SONIC OIL RESET
- Turn the IGNITION ON, Don’t start the ENGINE.
- PRESS the MENU BUTTON, until the REMAINING OIL LIFE is displayed.
- While the REMAINING OIL LIFE is displayed.
- Turn IGNITION OFF.
- Turn the IGNITION to ON position but don’t start the ENGINE.
- PRESS the MENU BUTTON to display the REMAINING OIL LIFE.
How do you reset an oil filter light?
Hold the Reset Button and Turn the Key Turn the ignition back to the ON position while holding the reset button. Watch the oil change or maintenance light carefully. It should start to blink. Allow the light to blink ON and OFF for a few seconds, then release the reset button and turn the ignition OFF.
How do you reset the oil light on a 2017 Chevy Sonic?
Press and hold the INFO button and button simultaneously When the “OIL LIFE RESET” appears on the display click and hold button If the “ACKNOWLEDGED” appears the system is resetting. Turn Off the ignition. The oil life light is to remind You of when You need an oil change.
Can I drive with oil light on?
No. Driving with low oil pressure or low oil in the system can ruin the vehicle’s engine, completely breaking the motor. If you notice the oil light on while you are driving or while the car is running, you should stop driving and have this problem addressed as soon as possible.
Why does oil light come on when oil is full?
The dashboard oil light comes on when your engine suffers a drop in oil pressure. Without enough oil pressure, the engine can’t lubricate itself. Even if you manage to avoid a full-on engine seize while this light is on, you’re still inflicting damage on your engine by running it without adequate lubrication.
What is a code 82 on a Chevy Sonic?
“Code 82 is change oil soon. Turn your car on, but leave it in park. Push the menu button until you see oil life in your DIC. Push and hold the reset button.
What does code 84 mean on a Chevy Sonic?
laborsmith said: Code 84 = engine power reduced but you already figured that out. Usually it accompanied by the blinking “check engine soon’ light so why the ABS light is beyond me. Normally checking/tightening the gas cap fixes the situation.
What does code 60 mean on a Chevy Sonic?
Code 60 in a 2017 chevy sonic means that there is a fault with the front passenger window and it will need to be rolled up and down.
Why won’t my change oil light go off?
If you are referring to the oil pressure warning light, it may be that the oil pressure is low, due most likely to excessive wear in the oiling system. Or perhaps just a faulty oil pressure switch or the wire grounding out somewhere. If it is an oil level light there is a problem with the sensor or sensor circuit.
How long can you go with your oil light on?
Generally speaking, you have about 2 weeks or 500 miles of driving before a flashing oil light turns into a legitimate problem. But once it hits that point, things can go downhill fast, leading to serious mechanical damage. So, try to get your vehicle into a mechanic sooner rather than later.
HOW TO: Chevrolet Sonic Engine Oil Life Reset
The DIC BUTTON, which is positioned at the rear of the steering wheel on the LEFT SIDE, must be used on this particular Chevrolet Sonic model.
- TO DISPLAY THE REMAINING OIL LIFE, PRESS THEMENU BUTTON till it is shown.
- While the REMAINING OIL LIFE is being shown on the screen. TO RESET THE OIL LIFE TO 100, HOLD AND PRESS THESET/CLR BUTTON for a few seconds.
The DIC BUTTON, which is situated at the rear of the steering wheel, will be utilized in this tutorial. Take a look at the image below.
- But do not start the engine until you have turned the ignition to the ON position.
- The remaining oil life will be shown if you press theMENU BUTTON.
- While the REMAINING OIL LIFE is being shown on the screen. Maintain control of the SET/CLR BUTTON until the OIL LIFE has been reset to 100
This car is equipped with a computer system that notifies the driver when it is time to replace the engine oil and filter. A mix of criteria, including engine rotations, engine temperature, and miles traveled, are used to calculate this figure. The mileage at which an oil change is recommended might vary significantly depending on the driving circumstances at the time. Every time the oil is changed, the oil life system must be reset in order for it to function effectively.
CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON
When it is necessary to replace the engine oil, this warning is shown. It is important to remember to reset the Oil Life System whenever you change the engine oil. After each oil change, the Oil Life display must be reset to zero. It is not going to reset itself. It is not recommended to mistakenly reset the Oil Life display at any other time than when the oil has recently been changed. It will not be possible to correctly reset it until the next oil change. Follow the steps outlined above in order to reset the engine oil life system.
Aloha, Chevy family and friends! We’ve been working on a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic, and today we changed the oil. As a result, the fault code on the dashboard was 82, which corresponded to the oil change. As a result, it’s a good idea to constantly reset the oil life light on this Chevrolet Sonic after doing an oil change. When the engine oil is changed, we’ll reset the system to ensure that the indicator illuminates appropriately the next time. In any case, you should constantly keep track of your mileage and replace the oil every year or every 5,000 miles at the very least.
The time required is three minutes.
Our primary navigation tool will be the turn signal multiple-switching button.
- Turn the key in the ignition while the engine is turned off. We’re not going to start the car right now, sorry. Consequently, if the car has an ignition button, while keeping your foot off the brake, press and hold the START button for about 5 seconds. Go to the OIL LIFE section of the screen. Then we’re going to tap the menu button once again, and you’ll see the Oil can icon appear on your screen. Alternatively, if you see a different choice, such as Tire Learn or Unit, you may use the thumbwheel to scroll over that option until the Oil can icon is displayed
- Press and hold the SET/CLRbutton for a few seconds. Once you’ve arrived, all you have to do is hold down theSET/CLRbutton on the end of the lever for approximately three seconds, after which it will beep and go to 100 percent
For your information, this operation is only applicable to the ChevroletSonic’s first generation (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 model years). Consequently, your 82 code, which is essentially the oil change reminder, will be eliminated. If you have any queries or recommendations, please post them in the comments area. And, if you enjoy our work, please consider sharing it on your social media platforms. As a result, thank you very much for visiting here, and we’ll see you again soon.
Reset Change Engine Oil Soon Light on Chevy Sonic
- To access the “Remaining Oil Life” menu on the DIC, press the MENU button and scroll with the thumbwheel. To reset the oil life, press the SET/CLR button on your keyboard. Utilize the thumbwheel to indicate whether you want to say “Yes” or “No.” To confirm, press the SET/CLR button on your keyboard.
- Scroll down to the “Remaining Oil Life” menu on the DIC by pressing and holding the MENU button and using your thumbwheel. To reset the oil life, press the SET/CLR button. Utilize the thumbwheel to indicate “Yes” or “No” when requested. To confirm, press the SET/CLR button.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about Car How To and the Oil Reset Pro app. We hope you find these reset processes to be of assistance to you. With our mobile software Oil Reset Pro, which is available in the Apple and Google Play stores, you can always have this method, as well as the rest of the domestic, Asian, and European manual maintenance reset procedures, at your fingertips at all times.
Follow the links below to get your free download from the shop right now!
Chevy Sonic: Reset Oil Light
When you replace the oil in your Chevrolet Sonic (also known as the Aveo), you should also reset the engine oil life system so that you are appropriately informed when it is time to change the oil again in the future. To clear the oil light, follow the actions outlined below.
- Select ” Menu ” from the menu bar to have the Oil Life shown on the display screen. While the Oil Life is shown, press ” SET/CLR ” to return to the previous screen. Choose ” Yes ” as your answer. Hold down the ” SET/CLR ” button for a few seconds until you hear a chime sound
The Oil Life should now have been effectively reset to 100 percent, according to the results.
- Select ” Menu ” from the menu bar to have the Oil Life shown on the display screen. While the Oil Life is being shown, press and hold the ” SET/CLR ” button until you hear a chime sound
- Then release the button.
The Oil Life should now have been effectively reset to 100 percent, according to the results.
- Hopefully, the Oil Life has been properly reset to 100 percent.
Your Chevy Sonic’s oil life should have been reset at this point. If the following actions did not provide results, repeat them.
oil light failed to illuminate.blown engine!
When my daughter graduated from college in 2012, I was fortunate enough to be able to get her a Sonic for her first car. In the end, I chose the Sonic since it is a domestically produced vehicle that appeared to be a decent value for its price. So here’s the backstory on the engine: The automobile has around 28,000 miles on it at this point. When she needed an oil change, she brought it to WalMart (I grimaced at the time, but she’s an adult). She saw “steam” coming from the engine area a short time later.
- She does not have a mechanical aptitude.
- She took it to her local dealer, who determined that oil was perhaps seeping from the oil filter cap.
- So my daughter reasoned that since WalMart was the source of the problem, she should return the item to WalMart to get it resolved.
- It was clear that she had run out of oil!
- It looks to me that WalMart did not fully seat the O ring on the oil filter cap when I looked at it, which I found strange.
- The low oil light, on the other hand, never came on.
- According to the Chevy dealer, this problem is not covered by the warranty.
- Wasn’t this apparent flaw a contributing factor to the current situation?
Chevrolet Sonic Maintenance Schedule
|Engine oil||Every 7,500 miles|
|Engine Air Cleaner filters||Every 45,000 miles|
|Oil filter||Every 7,500 miles|
|Air filter||Every 22,500 miles|
|Coolant||5 years or 150,000 miles|
|Spark plugs||Every 97,500 miles|
|Brake fluid||Every 45,000 miles|
Those who own a Chevrolet Sonic are well aware that wonderful things do indeed come in little packages. These mini-wizards keep you moving forward at breakneck speed while feeling fantastic. A snag on the road, on the other hand, may cause you considerable grief.
Avoid costly problems down the road by keeping up with routine maintenance on your vehicle. The Sweeney Chevy staff is pleased to give Cincinnati drivers with the suggested services for their Sonic, which are listed below! More information may be found at:
- Oil changes, brakes, tires, batteries, wiper blades, and exhaust systems are all available.
You can schedule an appointment with our Chevy service center near Cincinnati by calling 888-383-7308 right now.
Oil Change Light Reset Chevrolet Sonic 2017
It will be necessary to execute the Oil Change Light Reset Chevrolet Sonic 2017 procedure after every oil change. If the system is not correctly reset, it will be unable to track when your next oil change is necessary. The method for the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic is outlined below. When you replace your oil, follow the instructions outlined below to reset the oil life monitor.
Oil Change Light Reset Chevrolet Sonic 2017 Procedure
- With the engine off, turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position. Display the remaining oil life on the driver information center (DIC) by using the DIC controls on the right side of the steering wheel. On certain systems, press and hold the SEL or SET/CLR (check mark icon) buttons on the DIC controls for a few seconds to delete the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON warning and reset the oil life to 100 percent
- With the engine off, turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position. The Vehicle Information Menu may be accessed by pressing the DIC MENU button located on the turn signal lever. Use the thumbwheel to navigate through the menu selections until you reach REMAINING OIL LIFE
- Then click OK. While the oil life display is engaged, press the SET/CLR button (on some models, the check-symbol button) to reset the display. An audible beep (or single chime, depending on the type) will sound after a few seconds, and the oil life will be reset to 100 percent
- Set the ignition to the LOCK/OFF position
- Whenever the CHANGE OIL notification is no longer displayed and the REMAINING OIL LIFE 100 percent message is displayed, the system is reset.
- Turn the ignition key to the RUN position while the engine is turned off. Within five seconds, fully depress and softly release the accelerator pedal three times in succession. Start the car by turning the key to the OFF position.
Make certain that you are following each of the stages in the technique above exactly and in the sequence stated in the procedure above if the oil change light reset procedure does not work to reset your oil life monitor. If this is not the oil life monitor reset technique for your car, then searchHERE for the correct oil life monitor reset procedure for your vehicle.
Oil Life Monitor Reset Procedure Frequently Asked Questions
If you are still having difficulties, please go to theOil Life Monitor Reset Procedure Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for further information and assistance.
Because there is such a vast variety of car types and models, this is generic information that should not be interpreted as unique to any particular vehicle. To ensure that you have the right specs and repair methods for your car, please check the vehicle manufacturer. This information is only intended to be used as a general guideline.
Chevy Sonic Error Code 82 – Meaning And Fix
An error code message appearing on the driver’s dashboard is one of the things that will always startle them when they see it for the first time. Error code 82 is one of the most prevalent warnings that will appear in the Chevrolet Sonic. These issues are particularly prevalent in the Chevrolet Sonic models from the years 2012 and 2013. The error number 82 indicates that you should replace your oil as soon as possible and that the oil has just 5 percent of its life left. Failure to replace your oil on a regular basis might result in major engine troubles.
Changing your oil is the quickest and most straightforward solution to resolve this error code reading.
See this video for instructions on how to replace the oil in your Chevy Sonic if you want to save money and do it yourself.
Resetting Code 82 on the Chevy Sonic
If you perform the oil change yourself or if the shop is unable to reset the code, resetting the code is simple and straightforward. The following are the procedures that you will need to do in order to reset the code:
- Turn the key to the on position
- Using the Menu button, toggle it until you reachOil Life
- It will sayReset
- Then turn the key to the off position. Set/CLR the button until the oil life reaches 100 percent
- Then release the button.
Here’s a video showing you how to clear the error code 82 on a Chevrolet Sonic:
The aim of code 82 is to notify you that it is time to change your oil and filter. Failure to replace your car’s oil on a regular basis might result in severe damage to the engine.
Once you’ve changed your oil, resetting the engine code is a straightforward process. A smart suggestion is to schedule an appointment with your local repair shop or with the manufacturer’s local maintenance department if you have any problems. Wishing you the best of luck!
Chevy Sonic: Code 82 → Meaning + Reset
“What is code 82?” is a typical question that a new Chevrolet Sonicowner may ultimately inquire about. This signal indicates that you should replace your oil as soon as possible. For the purposes of this article, it indicates that the oil life has reached the 5 percent barrier or less. A common reason for this to occur is because you or the oil shop failed to reset the oil life meter after a maintenance interval.
Chevy Sonic Code 82 Reset
If your Sonic is in need of an oil change, it is critical that the oil change light be turned off when the service is performed.
- The oil change light on your Sonic must be reset when the service is done if it is in need of an oil change.
Depending on the model year, you’ll need to navigate through two different menu interfaces in order to reset code 82. Dedicated menu buttons for the task are seen on older generation Sonics. The turn signal stalk may be used to reset the code on newer models. The procedure is the same regardless of whatever method is used. This is demonstrated in detail in the two YouTube films provided below, which are appropriate for either model.
Conclusion:Chevrolet Sonic Code 82
The code 82 is letting you know that it is time to replace the oil in your Sonic. It’s simple to reset the light; just make sure that you really got the oil changed if it was in need of one. Wishing you the best of luck!